Friday, July 6, 2012

FOUR




I'm getting used to this, I guess. It doesn't make it any less strange when I go to
cultured, artsy places like The Factory Cafe at Colombo Fine Beverages Co. for a photographic art exhibition and some amazing coffee. I also went to a second-hand clothing, bookshop and White Elephant store, where I found the most amazing vintage dresses and a few beautiful cups and saucers.




Going to alternative places dressed mainstream feels worse than going to mainstream places dressed alternative. I believe your appearance can be something of a billboard that broadcasts to people your interests or beliefs. Not always, but the potential's there. I've noticed alternative people make use of that quite often. So of course, being in a place where I would like to use my appearance to broadcast my alternative interests to people who hopefully share those interests, it was embarassing to broadcast, instead, conformity and a love for the mainstream. Or perhaps not something that extreme, but I do think I looked a bit boring, and being in a place full of people who look interesting, it made me feel lame.
I'll say this because I've been on the other side of the prejudice, but alternative people seem to either express interest or dislike for people who look like I do this week. (These are the comments I've imagined in my head) "What are you doing at an art exhibition? Mainstream girls can't be interested in art." "Why are you buying a vintage dress? It's not like you'd ever wear it."



For anyone interested, Colombo Fine Beverages Co. is on Gale Street and is one of the most amazing coffee places you will ever come across. Try them. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment